Monday, February 9, 2009

Standing at the intersection of School, Life and Work

It's lonely here at the corner--and not just because I get the sense nobody out there is reading this. It always feels a little lonely when something is finished, when you know you are never coming back to this place again. Yes, I finished my thesis, the annotated bibliography, the personal synthesis paper and all that other stuff required in the Student Handbook if you are to be qualified to call yourself a candidate for graduation. My next trip to Vermont will certainly be my last as a Goddard College student--at least that's what I think. (I thought that once before and ended up back for another run.) A friend who called earlier today reminded me that I'm making an assumption my work will be accepted. It's not as if it happened in a vacuum. Over the last year I have been communicating with my third semester adviser, my fourth semester adviser and my second reader. If it isn't quite right, we're close enough that I can amend it. So yes, really, no more cafeteria food, talent shows, music room--what was that pool game called? Most of all, no more Goddard friends having our residency reunions. Where else would I find such an engaged and engaging group of people to have passionate conversations with about, well, yes, school, life and work--not to mention saving the planet.
Some of the rest of my projects are on the verge of turning a corner too but I'm not sure where the road leads and frankly, I'm not feeling as prepared as I hoped to be directing, both figuratively and literally. (You can see what I mean by going to YouTube, searching "clayforearth" and clicking "getting there.") The film production company has just submitted it's first grant proposal to Sundance. My son and I will partner in a new green car business.My husband (and fellow student) Jim announces his retirement from the health care business, not because he's retiring but because it's time to do something else. Our friend was just here from Soysambu Conservancy and Jim is thinking maybe someone should be formally rescuing Cheetahs in Kenya. After alll, our first graduating class from the school in Ngomano is getting ready to take the National exams. Jim's efforts there are no longer that of starting up, but of maintenance and Benson is doing a fantastic job of keeping the momentum going.
But for all you readers who aren't reading this, never fear. I made a six month committment to keep up this blog for the college and I'm sticking to it. You'll be able to find out first hand how life after college goes--at least until the light changes.

1 comment:

MLR115 said...

I'm going up to Goddard for the IMA residency tomorrow. I'd love to know who you are so I could read your thesis. As a non-profit director, sounds very relevant.

Congratulations!

Mary(at)healthymediachoices.org