Monday, February 2, 2009

Next????????

A week from today I'll hopefully be finished with another degree. Since one of the requirements for this Masters' is something called a "personal synthesis" paper that describes:
  • What you have learned about yourself through your entire Goddard experience
  • How you have developed as a contributor to/practitioner in your field as a result of your Goddard experience
  • How your final product is a reflection of this learning and growth
  • How you final product may contribute to the growth of your field

I've been reflecting like crazy. Fortunately, like most Goddard students I also have a busy life that allows me unexpected opportunities for both learning and reflection on a sometimes hourly basis. The subject of my final product is sustainability for non-profit organizations. I chose it because I volunteer for a number of these kind of organizations and was often astounded at how ineffective we can be at both governance and fundraising. "There's got to be a better way," I'd tell myself after another board meeting during which I wondered, if not for legal requirements, why anybody would need a board--let alone volunteer to serve on one.

Not to recount my essay ( soon be available down in the dusty stacks at the Goddard Library) but I'm pretty excited about what I learned. Here's the short version. There are some good ways to make boards more effective. If you are curious, check out the work of John Carver regarding rethinking what takes some of us off task and fumbling through the metaphorical weeds. There is excellent information on boards available on-line from BoardSource and other sites. If you serve on a board, check it out. Do not rely on your board orientation to teach you what you need to know to make your valuable time expenditure worthwhile. If your organization is having trouble raising funds (and who today can say they aren't) check out the University of Indiana's Fundraising School. They have week-long classes on fundraising fundamentals that SOMEBODY in your organization should attend. The class comes with a Big Red Book that has a bibliography that will easily get somebody like me through a doctorate if interventions for education addiction are unsuccessful. They also have a great website. If you sit on one board, consider sitting on two. It will make you a better board member for both boards because it will give you perspective. Finally, if you are determined to start your own non-profit, do all of the above plus write a business plan. It doesn't matter how passionate you are. Without a solid foundation (i.e. strategy for sustainability through governance and fundraising) you will be one of thousands of organizations that fails to make a lasting impact for its constituents and volunteers.

This month I'll be attending three board meetings. Like I said, life gives me opportunities to learn and reflect. What I can't really answer accurately is whether my study has or will contribute to these organizations. What I am sure of is, it hasn't hurt them. Any of you who have had experience with toxic situations know what I mean. Hopefully for a brand new graduate, that will be enough.

No comments: